Smokey mutton is originated from Paleolithic Era. Smoke just change the flavour and take it to the next level. The meat is smoked with hardwood. Softwood is not recommended because of the increase of PAH from resin which is dangerous to health and food. There are two types of smoking one is hot smoking and another is cold smoking. The difference between these is just the temperature. The wooden smoke adds flavour to the meat.
Smokey mutton is a very classical style of cooking meat. There are different types of meats such as white meat and red meat. The fish is first smoked. In the 19th century, there is great evidence of cooking smokey fish. In the past, people returning from hunting hang their meats and dry the meat. They started to cook the meat at low heat. They felt that the smoke from the wood adds a special flavour to it. After that begun to add seasoning and several things to enhance the flavour.
Dhuwan Dahi Gosht is prepared in yoghurt sauce. The smoke gives a very elegant flavour to the dish. It is a traditional dish is prepared for Eid and special events. Dhuwan Dahi Gosht is prepared in a very interesting and classical style. At the end of the dish, the charcoal is closed in a pan left for few minutes to give a perfect taste to the meat. Then it is sprinkled with an onions ring.
How To Make Dhuwan Dahi Gosht – Smokey Mutton – Want a Cook
Dhuwan Dahi Gosht is a smoked mutton dish in which meat is cooked in yogurt sauce before being enriched with a burning piece of Charcoal. The charcoal is showered with water that tends to produce its own particular aroma. The flavor of smoke brings a specific flavor to the gravy that is quite appealing to the tongue. You can prepare this smoked Dhuwan Dahi Gosht on weekends or Eid to amuse your taste buds.
- Take a deep pan, add oil into it, and heat it for a while.
- Then add 3 chopped onions and stir them until their color changes to brown.
- Now add 2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, mix it and cover it with the lid for a minute.
- Then cook it for more than 2 minutes.
- Now add 4 tomatoes (cut in half) and mix them nicely.
- Then add 1/2 glass of water and cover lid for 5 minutes.
- Now add 1 tsp of salt, 1 & 1/2 tsp of red chili powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric into it, and mix them well.
- Then remove the skin of tomatoes and mash them.
- Now add 1 & 1/2 kg of boneless meat (lamb) and mix it.
- Then add 4-5 glasses of water and cook it until meat is tender and then cover it with the lid.
- Once the meat is tender, dry the remaining water and add 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder, 1 & 1/2 tsp of whole spice powder.
- Cook it until oil separates from the gravy.
- Now you can add yogurt for your flavor and spread it all over the meat.
- Then add some onion rings, fresh green coriander, and green chilies to it.
- Now put a small piece of foil in the middle and heat up the charcoal with a few drops of oil and cover it with the lid immediately.
- Then open it after 2-3 minutes and take out the piece of charcoal from it.
- Delicious and tasty Dhuwan Dahi Gosht - Smokey Mutton is ready to serve.
Serving Size 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 250
- Calories from Fat 16
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 18g28%
- Saturated Fat 7.5g38%
- Cholesterol 82mg28%
- Sodium 61mg3%
- Potassium 264mg8%
- Protein 21g42%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.