What is Chaya?
Chaya, commonly referred to as Cnidoscolus aconitifolius, tree spinach, or spinach tree, is a massive, speedy-developing, and leafy perennial shrub that is believed to have originated in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico. It has succulent stems that exude a milky sap whilst reduce.
Where they usually found?
It usually found Yucatan Peninsula and the state of Tabasco. It can also found in some parts of continents such as Central America
Crude fiber: 1.9%
Calcium: 199.4 mg/100 g
Potassium: 217.2 mg/100 g
Iron: 11.4 mg/100 g
Vitamin C: 164.7 mg/100 g
Carotene: 0.085 mg/100 g
What are its benefits?
- Improve blood circulation
- Improve digestion
- Improve vision
- Good for cough
- Help to reduce weight
- Help to improve memory
How to grow it
- The chaya plant or tree spinach is bloodless touchy and ought to only be grown in heat areas. This includes tropical and subtropical regions. If you do not stay in a warm climate, you may develop the chaya plant in a greenhouse furnished you provide it the right conditions (see beneath.).
- Maximum chaya spinach shrubs are grown thru propagation with woody stem cuttings which are 6-12 inches lengthy in nicely draining soil. This is the pleasant and simplest manner to grow chaya spinach. Growing chaya from seeds can be pretty tough and isn’t always advocated for the home gardener.
- The chaya spinach plant will take a while to grow, but after about 12 months, you could prune and harvest! Be affected person because the growing method is sluggish, however, once your plant is set up, you must prune to promote boom.
- While pruning, you ought to dispose of a minimum of 60% of the foliage so as for it to grow well. This could in no way damage the plant, however, in truth encourages a speedier boom and health.
- For an own family, one chaya plant will suffice. The chaya spinach plant can grow pretty large, approximately 6-8 feet in height, so only start off with one plant.
- Grow in shady spots, mainly below fruit or nut bushes. In tropical and subtropical areas, the chaya plant prospers below bushes in forests or on aspects of the road, so try and replicate the one’s situations.
- Make sure to water the chaya canes well earlier than transplanting. If the canes are dried up, they will now not take.
How to Include It In Your Diet?
- Chaya spinach leaves are harvested at the same time as younger and used much like spinach.
- Unlike normal spinach even though, raw chaya leaves have to by no means be consumed uncooked as they may be poisonous. They comprise a toxin referred to as hydrocyanic glycosides.
- They must be cooked for at least 1 minute for the toxins to use up.
- Chaya spinach can be sauteed, boiled, delivered to soups and stews, frozen for later use, or even for brewing tea.